Thursday 1 January 2015

WONDERS OF LEGONLAND


If you are not in Legon you might find this difficult to understand but it is and they are (subsequent episodes to come) a true reflection of the wonders in the larger society. They might not be the most important of things hence the obvious lack of attention but I should expect after you read this piece and the subsequent ones, you would come to terms with the fact that, despite the difference in (campuses) or whichever society you find yourself these wonders of Legonland cut across.


Obviously any attempt to headcount the numerous incomprehensible and mysterious phenomena in Legon would reveal over a thousand of those. But undoubtedly you should realize that if you know your Legon well, the first thing that would come to mind will be the ;

EPISODE ONE
The beans (gobe) seller at the Night Market.
For whatever reasons best known to those who patronize Daavi’s beans, (including my good self) the thought of passing by Daavi to buy gobe from any other seller is highly unlikely. Her small sheath under which she sells is often characterized with an unending, serpentaneous and at times zigzag queues which normally causes problems for the other sellers close by.

The sight of hundreds of people standing around your table with none interested in what you sell could be devastating. And so I wasn’t surprised when once a woman shouted at me to leave her chair and concentrate on my queue, (poor me I was so hungry and weak that I needed something to hold on to, meanwhile there was another beans seller with no one to attend to).

Till date, why students returning from lectures with hunger and fatigue written boldly all over them would decide to join a queue of over 200 people just to buy gobe worth of 2 cedis50 pessewas(normally how much we all buy) still remains a mystery. Funny thing is, that is the only place in Ghana where the LADIES FIRST rule doesn’t apply, and literally speaking there’s no gentleman there because if you are a lady and you come you would have to be in the queue patiently till it’s your time.

I cannot end this gobe episode without again expressing my surprise over why after Daavi deciding to add another attendant to ensure the quick flow of traffic at her joint, people would still want to get congested in the queue directed at Daavi’s services while the other woman virtually stands idle.
Ah well perhaps I would have understood if there was a difference in taste between Daavi’s beans and the others but having tasted the others before I am unable to draw such conclusions (they all taste the same). Yet myself and all the gobe lovers of Legon choose to be in Daavi’s long queue for some mysterious reasons.

Well I don’t know about you but why I still join a queue to buy from Daavi even when am so hungry, tired and stressed even though I have an alternative of buying from someone with no one to attend to, still remains a question unanswered.


So I should think by now even if you are not in Legon you have realized there is a certain Daavi in your community, she might not be a beans seller, perhaps she sells the hottest waakye, rice, fufu etc that many can’t avoid but bottom-line is there’s a particular food you cannot stop buying and you may never really understand why you buy it anyways.



No comments:

Post a Comment